Beatty in Nye County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Nevada's Southern Boundary 1861 -1867
When the Territory of Nevada was carved from western Utah in 1861, this line became the southern boundary of the new territory and continued to serve as such when the territory and state were enlarged by extensions to the east in 1862 and 1866, respectively.
In 1867, the Nevada Legislature approved the action of Congress to add that portion of the territory of Arizona which lay to the south of this line west of the 114 West Longitude and the Colorado River, and to the east of the boundary to California. This action, taken on January 18, 1867, gave the State of Nevada the permanent boundaries as they are today.
Erected 1999 by State Historic Preservation Office, Southern Nevada Historical Society. (Marker Number 57.)
Location. 37° 0.116′ N, 116° 43.551′ W. Marker is in Beatty, Nevada, in Nye County. Marker is on U.S. 95 1.6 miles north of East Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Due north of Beatty. Marker is in this post office area: Beatty NV 89003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Beatty (approx. 6.8 miles away); Desert Hills Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Rhyolite's District of Shadows (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A twin marker has been placed at another site of the Old Boundery
Also see . . . 1866 Johnson Map of California, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah. A cartographic image of the California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah boundaries in 1866. (Submitted on August 23, 2011, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2011, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.