Columbia United Methodist Church
During the latter half of the nineteenth century, the town of Columbia lost much of its population to Marion (now East Columbia), and eventually the Methodist Church began meeting there. The congregation built its first sanctuary in Marion, where the Columbia circuit preacher held services twice a month.
About 1913, another Methodist congregation began meeting in West Columbia. In a few years, this church had grown to require a full-time pastor, while the East Columbia fellowship still was served by a circuit preacher. By 1928, the two congregations merged and have continued to meet in West Columbia since then.
With its ties to the beginnings of Methodism in Texas, Columbia United Methodist Church stands as a significant reminder of Brazoria County History.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9548.)
Location. 29° 8.47′ N, 95° 38.855′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Columbia Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas (approx. ¼ mile away); Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Home of George B. McKinstry (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.