Citrus Heights in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The original school had white clapboard siding (narrow wooden siding) and green shutters. The interior consisted of a single classroom with two small closets. In addition to serving as a schoolhouse, the building was used for community meetings, church services, dance parties and a voting place.
In 1926 Guy Van Maren spearheaded a successful bond issue to construct a new Sylvan School. In order to make room for the new and larger facility, the original schoolhouse was relocated to Sylvan Road to be used as a community center. It was donated to the community in 1927 by Adolph Van Maren and is held in a private trust.
Erected by City of Citrus Heights.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6903 Sylvan Road, Citrus Heights CA 95621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Citrus Heights Community Club (here, next to this marker); Sylvan Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); San Juan High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Rusch Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Roseville - Placer County Vietnam Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Walerga Assembly Center (approx. 3.6 miles away); Benito Juarez (approx. 3.7 miles away); Roseville Korean War Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Citrus Heights.
Also see . . . City of Citrus Heights. The Sylvan School has been designated a City of Citrus Heights Historical Landmark. (Submitted on August 27, 2011.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on August 30, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.