Georgetown High School / Alma Mater
Georgetown High School
A memorial to our beloved Alma Mater. Georgetown High School was established and graduated the first class in 1926. It became accredited in 1932 and continued annual graduations under this name through 1971. The life of the school was less than half a century. In this brief time, from her halls walked many graduates filled with knowledge, integrity and patriotism to pass on for generations. In the grand auditorium students learned to love God, their country and their school. Though with doors closed, these values echoed within her walls until the building was destroyed by fire in July 1990.
Hail to thee, our Alma Mater
Hail to Georgetown High.
May she never be forgotten as the days pass by.
She’s the best ~ we’ll always
hail her ~ she will never die.
Hail to thee our Alma Mater,
Dear old Georgetown High.
Written by Class of 1941
SUPERINTENDENTS OF THE SCHOOL:
Henry M. Kaigler
Ralph M. Balkcom, Sr.
Frances K. House
George M. Phillips
Erected 1993 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Georgetown High School Alumni.
Location. 31° 53.092′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgetown (approx. half a mile away); Quitman County (approx. half a mile away); Quitman County’s Old Jail (approx. half a mile away); Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Hospital (approx. 2.1 miles away in Alabama); William Thomas "Tom" Mann / Eufaula, Alabama (approx. 2.4 miles away in Alabama); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. 2.4 miles away in Alabama); Cotton and Creek Country (approx. 2.4 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 472 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.