Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute
This academy was founded in 1881 at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Rev. Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college preparatory courses in English, Greek, Latin, French, history, mathematics, public speaking, agriculture, sewing, cooking, music and printing. In 1924 the school consolidated with three other institutions to become Union Baptist Institute. The institute was dissolved and the building demolished in 1956 following desegregation and consolidation of the local public schools.
Erected 2001 by Georgia Historical Society, The University of Georgia and Union Baptist Institute/Jeruel Preservation Foundation. (Marker Number 29-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.015′ N, 83° 22.96′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Baxter Street and Pope Street, on the right when traveling east on Baxter Street. Touch for map. The marker is inside the fence line, on University of Georgia property between Russell and Brumby
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. half a mile away); First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. (approx. half a mile away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. half a mile away); First Garden Club (approx. half a mile away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Herty Field (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of First Classes (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.