Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Steubenville in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

This Old Federal Land Office

 
 
This Old Federal Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
1. This Old Federal Land Office Marker
View of the two historical markers.
Inscription. [Left Historical Marker]:
This Land Office was established by Congress
on May 10, 1800.
President John Adams appointed David Hoge
as Land and Title Registrar, which position
he held for forty years.
In 1801 Mr. Hoge bought the lot on North Third
Street from Bezaleel Wells, founder of
Steubenville, and erected a log cabin
where the land of the Seven Ranges was sold.

Erected by
The N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812
State of Ohio
April 1, 1941

[Right Historical Marker]:
This old Federal Land Office, first in the Seven Ranges
of the Northwest Territory, was moved to this site,
restored and furnished through the cooperation of the
Jefferson County Commissioners
Russell Hesske........Michael Blischak
Nick Calabria.........Leo J. Nolan
City Officials
John W. Targoss, Mayor - Samuel N. Johnson, Engineer
Project 7
Mrs. Howard H. Minor - President
The Federal Land Office Park, Inc.
George J. Barthold, Pres. - Mrs. Carl Goehring, V. Pres.
Mrs. Earl S. Snyder, Sec'y
and many other interested individuals and groups who
gave generously of their time and effort.

Rededicated July 4th 1965

 
Erected
This Old Federal Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
2. This Old Federal Land Office Marker
Close-up view of the right historical marker.
1941 by N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812, State of Ohio.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
 
Location. 40° 21.485′ N, 80° 36.839′ W. Marker is in Steubenville, Ohio, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from South Third Street east of Adams Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the downtown business district, near the Ohio River, on the grounds of the Historic Fort Steuben Park, within the area enclosed by a chain link fence that surrounds the log structure that housed the Land Office. Marker is in this post office area: Steubenville OH 43952, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); North-West Corner of Fort Steuben (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Steuben (within shouting distance of this marker); Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwin McMasters Stanton (about 600 feet away); Abraham Lincoln's Visit to Steubenville (about 600 feet away); U.S.S. Maine (about 700 feet away); Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) / Carnegie Library of Steubenville (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Steubenville.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
This Old Federal Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
3. This Old Federal Land Office Marker
Close-up view of the right historical marker.
This Old Federal Land Office image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
4. This Old Federal Land Office
An exterior view of the log structure that served as the Old Federal Land Office.
This Old Federal Land Office image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
5. This Old Federal Land Office
An interior view of the Old Federal Land Office and the displayed materials inside.
This Old Federal Land Office image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
6. This Old Federal Land Office
Another interior view of the Old Federal Land Office and the displayed materials inside.
This Old Federal Land Office image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 15, 2011
7. This Old Federal Land Office
Another interior view of the Old Federal Land Office and the displayed materials inside.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on September 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 5, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement