Healing Springs in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
By tradition, Healing Springs got its name during the Revolutionary War. In 1781 after a bloody battle at nearby Windy Hill Creek, four wounded Tories sent inland from Charleston by General Banastre "The Butcher" Tarleton were left in the care of two comrades who had orders to bury them when they died. Luckily, Native Americans found them and took them to their secret, sacred, healing springs. Six months later the Charleston Garrison was astonished by the reappearance of the six men. All were strong and healthy.
Ownership of the springs passed from native "Indian " tribes who revered them to an Indian trader, Nathaniel Walker, who bought them with corn. The site passed through several hands until it was acquired by L/P. Boylston. On July 21, 1944, he deeded the land and springs to GOD. The waters , by analysis are exceptionally pure and contain healthful minerals. People today, as in the past, believe they truly are Healing Springs.
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 33° 23.519′ N, 81° 16.405′ W. Marker is in Healing Springs, South Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackville SC 29817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Godís Acre Healing Springs (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barnwell County Courthouse (approx. 2.4 miles away); Blackville : Town Of The Phoenix / Battle of Blackville, 1865 (approx. 2.6 miles away); Blackville (approx. 2.6 miles away); Solomon Blatt, Sr. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 4.6 miles away); Holman's Bridge (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Healing Springs.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on June 12, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on June 12, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.