St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Alcazar Hotel
Hobbies Magazine Founder Otto Lightner of Chicago purchased the building for $150,000 in 1947, to house his collections of 40,000 to 50,000 antiques and collectables, gathered from Chicago estates after the crash of 1929. The building and collections were left to the citizens of St. Augustine upon his death in 1950.
The hotel today houses the St. Augustine City Hall and Lightner Museum. The City Hall occupies the forward section, originally hotel rooms surrounding the courtyard. The Lightner Museum occupies the rear section, orginally the casino, featuring salons, steam rooms, a bowling alley and the largest indoor pool of its time, 120 feet long and 50 feet wide, with a depth of 3 to 12 feet. The City Commission meets in the former ladies parlor in the courtyard section, while the pool area houses shops and a café.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.504′ N, 81° 18.846′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles (a few steps from this marker); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); William Wing Loring (within shouting distance of this marker); Ponce De Leon Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tolomato Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rosario Redoubt (about 300 feet away); Villa Zorayda (about 400 feet away); Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Lightner Museum. (Submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on December 12, 2014.