Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Cornelius Chapel

Governors Island

 
 
St. Cornelius Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
1. St. Cornelius Chapel Marker
Inscription.
During the first seven decades of American military use of Governors Island, there was no post chapel. In 1844, a Columbia College Episcopal Reverend, John M. McVickar, was commissioned post chaplain. His tireless efforts, combined with the sponsorship of his family and Trinity Church in Manhattan, led to the construction of a sizable wood frame chapel in 1847. This Episcopalian chapel was located just behind and to the right of where you are standing. By 1868, the Army elected to stop providing chaplains to the Island, leading Trinity Church to adopt the chapel into its Manhattan parish and provide its own chaplain.

Reverend Edmund Banks Smith arrived in 1904 and energetically spearheaded the construction of a new masonry building to replace the original wood chapel, then in disrepair. The current English Gothic Style church was dedicated in 1906; and, like the original, was named after a soldier and early convert to Christianity, St. Cornelius the Centurion. Trinity Church retains ownership of the chapel to this day. Eventually, facilities for further religious services were made available to Island residents. The Our Lady of the Sea Catholic chapel and a synagogue were established in the historic district and services for Christian Scientists and Jehovah Witnesses were held in existing buildings on the south island.
 
Location.
St. Cornelius Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
2. St. Cornelius Chapel Marker
40° 41.295′ N, 74° 0.897′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Evans Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on Governors Island. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tower Carillon Chimes (a few steps from this marker); The South Battery (a few steps from this marker); Maj. General Hanson E. Ely Retirement (within shouting distance of this marker); John Peter Zenger (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The South Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Oysters in the Harbor: A History (within shouting distance of this marker); Middens and Reefs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buttermilk Channel and Brooklyn Waterfront (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Governors Island.
 
More about this marker. An exterior picture of St. Cornelius Chapel appears on the background of the marker. The upper right of the marker contains an interior photo with a caption of “The nave of St. Cornelius chapel, seen here, was decorated with a collection of historic regimental flags. The flags were moved in the 1980s to the U.S. Center for Army Military
St. Cornelius Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
3. St. Cornelius Chapel
The marker can be seen here in front of the chapel.
History in Washington D.C.”
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Governors Island. The Trust for Governors Island website. (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Governors Island. New York Harbor Parks website. (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. Governors Island National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Inside St. Cornelius Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
4. Inside St. Cornelius Chapel
Altar & Stained Glass in Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
5. Altar & Stained Glass in Chapel
Marker Inside St. Cornelius Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
6. Marker Inside St. Cornelius Chapel
In memory of
the patriots who fought in
The Battle of Long Island
August 27, 1776
among whom was
General Nathaniel Woodhull

Erected by
General Nathaniel Woodhull Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1926
Another Marker Inside St. Cornelius Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
7. Another Marker Inside St. Cornelius Chapel
In memory of
Corporal James B. Gresham
Private Thomas F. Enright
Private Merle D. Hay

Members of Company F.
Sixteenth U.S. Infantry

First American soldiers
killed in the World War
November 3rd 1917
near
Bathelemont, France

Dedicated by the Sixteenth U.S. Infantry
Presented by First Division Post No 820
Veterans of Foreign Wars
1927
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement