Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
An authorized cast bronze by the Gorham Foundry from the original by Jean Antoine Houdon (1741-1828) which stands in the State Capitol at Richmond, Virginia. It was purchased by The George Washington University in 1932 on the occasion of the George Washington Bicentennial. After standing in a number of locations on the campus, the statue found its permanent home in the University Yard and was dedicated on this spot on September 6, 1991. “George Washington” is part of The George Washington University Permanent Collection.
Erected 1991 by The George Washington University.
Location. 38° 53.963′ N, 77° 2.747′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on H Street, NW west of 20th Street, NW. Touch for map. The University Yard, GWU. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20052, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Gamow (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Teller (within shouting distance of this marker); Announcement of the Atomic Age (within shouting distance of this marker); GW's River Horse (about 300 feet away, measured Ingrid Bergman (was about 300 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Professors Gate (about 300 feet away); A Bench By The Road (about 300 feet away); Here, at 2023 G Street, N.W., in 1912, The George Washington University (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Also see . . .
1. Jean-Antoine Houdon, sculptor. (Submitted on September 18, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Houdon Statue of George Washington. (Submitted on September 18, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Education • Heroes • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.