The Gazebos of Addison
1965 • 1974 • 2000
The first, dedicated in 1965, was built in Rome, Italy in 1873 and then brought to Addison by Joseph Incandella. It was a 12-sided, wrought iron structure in Victorian style, painted white. It was torn down in 1972, after falling into disrepair. The Addison Beautification Gazebo Committee was formed to coordinate designing and funding to have a new gazebo constructed to demonstrate community pride.
The new gazebo, twice the size of the original, was dedicated in November, 1974. It was an octagonal shape 22 feet in diameter, constructed of concrete, brick, cedar, wrought iron and steel. It has a shingle roof topped by a cupola that reached 30 feet in the air. This gazebo was dedicated to Joseph V. Bodzioch, Village Trustee, who spearheaded the project and who died while in office in 1977.
This second gazebo was demolished in 1999 to allow the construction of the new Village Hall. The third gazebo, slightly smaller and of more contemporary design, was built to allow visitors to continue to enjoy events presented on the Village Green.
[Memorial plaque below the marker.]
In Memoriam Joseph W. Bodzioch Village Trustee Born: August 9, 1929 Died: December 19, 1977 Erected by The President
Location. 41° 55.938′ N, 87° 59.483′ W. Marker is in Addison, Illinois, in DuPage County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lake Street and West Army Trail Boulevard on West Lake Street. Touch for map. The Gazebo and marker are located in Addison Village Green. Marker is in this post office area: Addison IL 60101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kinderheim Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Lutheran Teacher’s Seminary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of St. Paul Lutheran School (about 400 feet away); Army Trail Road (about 800 feet away); Veterans Circle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Mill (approx. one mile away); Stacy’s Tavern (approx. 4.8 miles away); Reverend J. Ward Morrison Boulevard (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Addison.
Additional keywords. gazebo
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.