Flomaton in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
As railroads were reconstructed following the Civil War, a junction of north-south and east-west lines was established along the Alabama-Florida border near the confluence of Big Escambia Creek and the Conecuh-Escambia River. A settlement followed which became knows as Reuterville, for Major Reuter, the contractor who on April 9, 1872, drove the last spikes joining the different railroads. The community was also known as Pensacola Junction, or simply the Junction, as well as Whiting, after the railroad station master. Following several years of confusion due to the three names, the Post Office requested a permanent name from the citizens. The result was the first three letters of Florida and the last two letters of Alabama being joined to make the name Floma. To avoid confusion with Florala, the Post Office added "ton," meaning town, and the name became Flomaton. The Town of Flomaton was incorporated on May 18, 1908.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
As an important rail junction, Flomaton has seen the famous and the infamous. President Theodore Roosevelt, 1905, President Woodrow Wilson, 1919, President Calvin Coolidge, 1930, and a campaigning future President Lyndon Johnson in 1960, all visited here. Outlaws Rube Burrow, Railroad Bill, John Wesley Hardin and Brown Bowen
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Flomaton.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Medal of Honor Recipients marker series.
Location. 31° 0.236′ N, 87° 15.817′ W. Marker is in Flomaton, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of Sidney E Manning Blvd (U.S. 29) and Houston Street, on the right when traveling north on Sidney E Manning Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Alabama Welcome Center & Railroad Museum/Flomaton Chamber of Commerce Office. Marker is in this post office area: Flomaton AL 36441, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Alabama's Own (within shouting distance of this marker); Century, Florida / Alger Railroad (approx. 2.1 miles away in Florida); The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Pollard Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Pollard (approx. 6 miles away); Canoe Station (approx. 8.8 miles away); Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 10.4 miles away); Franklin Cemetery (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Flomaton. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 3. submitted on November 30, 2015, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.