Furman Academy and Theological Institution
Established by the S. C. Baptist Convention in 1825, Furman opened in Edgefield in 1826. Later sites were here at High Hills (1829-1834), Winnsboro (1837-1850), and Greenville in 1851 (now Furman University). In 1859 the theological department became the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary which moved to Louisville, Ky. in 1877.
The Rev. Jesse Hartwell was director of this school at High Hills, which took its name from Dr. Richard Furman (1755-1825), noted patriot, theologian, and educator. A native of New York state, Furman moved to High Hills with his parents in 1770. The property here was given to Sumter County Historical Commission by Furman University in 1978.
Erected 1985 by Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-22.)
Location. 34° 1.318′ N, 80° 28.567′ W. Marker is in Dalzell, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Dodgen Hill Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is .7 miles south of SC Hwy 441. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3415 Dodgen Hill Road, Dalzell SC 29040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Furman Academy (a few
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 656 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.