Venice in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Eagle Point Bell
The bell was then used to summon guests to lunch and dinner at Eagle Point, a prime waterfront property in Venice, with an elite hunting and fishing resort, established in 1916 by Mrs. Bertha Honore Palmer. The resort was purchased by Mike Evans in 1918, and then sold to Mr. and Mrs. Kingsbury Curtis in 1923.
Georgette Williams married Jack Duke in 1946, and the couple lived at Eagle Point where he served as maintenance superintend and fishing guide. In 1953,
The Venice Archives acquired the bell through the generosity of the estate of Georgette Williams Duke, the younger daughter of George and Hattie Williams, owners of the first dairy farm in Nokomis.
The bell now has a new home, here at the entrance to the Triangle Inn.
Please ring the bell
Erected by the Venice Historical Society.
Location. 27° 5.727′ N, 82° 26.851′ W. Marker is in Venice, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is on Nassau Street South south of Milan Avenue West, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is located a few blocks south of the downtown business district, adjacent to the parking lot that is just north of the Triangle Inn Museum, and on the property of the Triangle Inn. Marker is in this post office area: Venice FL 34285, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Triangle Inn (within shouting The Venice-Nokomis Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Venezia Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Venice Apartment District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ennes Arcade and Hotel Valencia 1926 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Venice (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lord - Higel House Restoration Project (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Venice.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 425 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.