Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John McCall House
66 Church Street
—Circa 1784 —
First granted to Thomas Rose by the Lords Proprietors in 1681 and delineated as Lot 64 of the Grand Modell, this lot was part of the early walled city of Charleston. A brick house was initially built on the property that survived the fire of 1740 but was lost in the Great Fire of 1778.
The present house, built circa 1784, was owned by John McCall (1741-1800), a Revolutionary War captain who commanded the Grenadier Company of the Charles Town Regiment. After the war he worked as an insurance broker and was City Treasurer. He was also a member of the South Carolina Society, which his father helped found. During his ownership the boundaries of the property were expanded to include the lot known today as 64 Church Street. The property remained in the McCall family for almost a hundred years.
The house is a traditional three and a half story Charleston single home. The frame structure rests on a raised brick basement and is crowned by s hipped roof with projecting dormers. The structure is dominated by gracious piazzas that at one time were enclosed to create apartments. A renovation completed in 2007 reversed this enclosure returning the house to its original form.
Over the years, the house has been both a residence and a commercial space. It was home to a medical steam bath, a team room, an art studio,
Erected 2010 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.45′ N, 79° 55.733′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 66 Church Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capers Motte House (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Brewton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Thomas Dale House (within shouting distance of this marker); 73 Church Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Rose's House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); DuBose Heyward House (within shouting distance of this marker); James Verree House (within shouting distance of this marker); 23 Tradd Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 26 Tradd Street (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Lords Proprietor > Carolina. There were eight Lords Proprietor of the Province of Carolina (by 1729, when seven of their descendants, all but the heir of Carteret, sold their shares to the Crown, it was split into two provinces: North and South Carolina). (Submitted on September 26, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.