The Colored School
By 1874, what has been known as the Colored School opened in Center School here at Sixth and Washington Streets to serve African-American elementary students of Bloomington. An 1869 law had mandated education of colored children, with a separate enumeration and separate schools supported with tax revenue within the common school system.
Before 1869, education of African-Americans was generally not within the common school system. The school building on this site was used until 1915, when it was replaced by the Carnegie library. Students attended classes at another site until the new Bannekar School opened on the west side December 1915; the school remained segregated until 1951.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Bloomington Black Business & Professional Association, and Unitarian Universalist Church of Bloomington. (Marker Number 53.2005.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 10.049′ N, 86° 31.909′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County. Marker is on 6th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Monroe County's Carnegie Library (a few steps from this marker); Monroe County / Bloomington World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Memorial (about 600 feet away); G.A.R. Soldiers of All Wars Memorial (about 600 feet away); Civil War Memorial Cannon (about 600 feet away); Monroe County W.W. II Honor Roll (about 700 feet away); Monroe County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Hoagy Carmichael (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
More about this marker. Marker can be found on the lawn of the Monroe County History Center in Bloomington, Indiana.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Cory Burger of Bloomington, Indiana. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Cory Burger of Bloomington, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.