Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
72-74 Tradd Street
Local merchant James Matthews constructed this three-story over raised basement, double tenement building circa 1740. The house features a Flemish bond brick pattern and nine over nine light windows. The gambrel roof with a jerkin-head gable is a rare surviving example of a roof form once common in 18th century Charleston.
Charleston attorney James Grindley purchased the property in 1762. Grindley rented one half of the building and used the other half as his residence and law office. At his death in 1765 the property was deeded to his nephews, Dr. Alexander Fotheringham and Dr. Archibald McNeill, who each used half of the building as a primary residence. Their wives, Isabel Fotheringham and Mary McNeill, were granddaughters of South Carolina Chief Justice Robert Wright and the nieces of Sir James Wright, Royal Governor of Georgia. It was rare in Charleston that the owners occupied tenement buildings as they were usually built for rental purposes.
In the mid-nineteenth century the building was converted to a single-family residence by piercing interior walls. The building originally had two entrances at the basement level. By the early twentieth century the main entrance at the eastern end had been raised to the first floor. In the 1960s the window and entrance at the western end were
Erected 2003 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.48′ N, 79° 55.885′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Tradd Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Meeting and King Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 72-74 Tradd Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Robert Pringle House (a few steps from this marker); Branford-Horry House (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church of Charleston (within shouting distance of this marker); Dewar-Lee-Pringle House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Harvey House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Site of Colleton Bastion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Cordes Prioleau House (about 300 feet away); 58 Tradd Street (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on December 18, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.