Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
One North Adger's Wharf
North Adger's Wharf was originally known as Greenwood's Wharf. William Greenwood, a British merchant living in Charles Town, was one of the official consignees of tea taxed by Parliament under the Tea Act of 1773. Under pressure, Greenwood and other consignees allowed the hated tea to be stored in the basement of the Exchange Building, the center of colonial Charleston's commercial and social activity.
This property, along with Motte's wharf, was purchased circa 1800 by merchant and noted antebellum poet, William Crafts, and later, in 1822, by Arthur Middleton, descendent of a South Carolina signer of the Declaration of Independence.
By 1842 the wharves were acquired by James Adger & Company and became the southern terminus of the first steamship line between Charleston and New York. By the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, several masonry cotton warehouses and factor's offices had also been constructed on North Adger's Wharf.
As port activities moved up the peninsula in the early 20th century, the wharves were abandoned and the buildings converted to residential and office use. One North Adder's
Erected 2000 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.537′ N, 79° 55.568′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on North Adger's Wharf near Concord Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One North Adger's Wharf, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir Nathaniel Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); As Old as Charleston (about 300 feet away); The Tavern (about 300 feet away); 83-107 East Bay Street Rainbow Row (about 300 feet away); Col. Othneil Beale's House (about 400 feet away); Convention on Ratification (about 500 feet away); Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.