Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Richter House survives as such modest construction, an 1820s one-room building thought to have served the tannery operations but remodeled to be a residence in 1842 when growth arrived with the Georgia Railroad. Similar structures, once found throughout early Madison have disappeared, especially in the more fashionable upslope parts of town.
By 1975 the Richter House’s severe disrepair and threatened demolition inspired Dr. Josephine Brandon and a group of 7th grade students to begin a program of restoration. Under the leadership of retired Georgia Archivist Carroll Hart, Morgan County Landmarks Society completed the restoration and opened it as a museum and center for local history education.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 36′ N, 83° 28.383′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 West Washington Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Train Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Segregated Burial Grounds (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town Spring (approx. ¼ mile away); Industrial Corridor (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reconstruction Property Rights (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.