Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Lattice Bridge

 
 
The Old Lattice Bridge Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. The Old Lattice Bridge Marker, Side 1
Inscription. Side 1:
The second covered bridge across the Chattahoochee River, connecting Clay County, Georgia and Henry County. Alabama was constructed between 1867-69. Bonner and Walden, a New York construction company, were the original contractors but the bridge was completed by Horace King. After the three span bridge collapsed during the flood of March 1875, the original stockholders relinquished control of the structure to the City of Fort Gaines on the condition that the city should rebuild at public expense. A $7,500 bond issue was floated and the bridge was rebuilt by Captain B. B. McKenzie of Eufaula, Alabama.

Side 2:
Following the reopening of the covered bridge in 1875, the City of Fort Gaines considered levying ad valorem taxes to help retire the bridge repair bond issue. Angry property owners proposed that the city sell the bridge to any person who would guarantee to retire the bonds. After considerable debate, the bridge was sold to David C. Adams who realized a handsome profit on his investment. The flood of March 1888 partially destroyed the bridge again and it was resold to the city for $5,000. The bridge was then rebuilt by William King, son of Horace King. The covered bridge was in use until 1925 when the Henry- Clay cantilever bridge was opened.
 
Erected
The Old Lattice Bridge Marker, Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. The Old Lattice Bridge Marker, Side 2
1987 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Clay County Commission.
 
Location. 31° 36.373′ N, 85° 3.285′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Bluff Street 0 miles south of Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is well off the road, near the site of the old fort (and cannon). Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Confederacy (a few steps from this marker); The 1836 Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Gaines Female College (about 500 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Chattahoochee River Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Additional keywords. covered bridge
 
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts
 
The Old Lattice Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. The Old Lattice Bridge Marker
The Old Lattice Bridge over the Chattahoochee River image. Click for full size.
Unknown. Postcard from David Seibert Collection
4. The Old Lattice Bridge over the Chattahoochee River
This postcard, from "People's Drug Store," was postmarked in 1910.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement