Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

58 Tradd Street

Cleland-Wells House

 

—circa 1760 —

 
58 Tradd Street Cleland - Wells House Markers image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2011
1. 58 Tradd Street Cleland - Wells House Markers
Upper plaque: William Cleland House
1760
Is protected by a
Conservation Easement
donated to Historic
Charleston Foundation
1984
Lower:
Medallion:
Award
Carolopolis
Condita A.D.
1670
Preservation Society of Charleston
The Carolopolis Award is a plaque placed on buildings that have been preserved, restored, rehabilitated or are outstanding examples of new construction. The award is presented to those individuals, businesses or organizations that currently own the property. The Carolopolis Award is a slightly modified reproduction of the seal of the City of Charleston. The word Carolopolis comes from the original name of the city
Inscription.
This three-story stuccoed single house
was constructed circa 1760 by Charleston
physician Dr. William Cleland as a
residence for his son William. After
William's death the property was
purchased in 1778 by Scottish émigré
Robert Wells, the largest bookseller
and printer in the Southern colonies.
Wells and his son John used the first floor
and perhaps the cellar of this building to
publish a Tory newspaper, the South
Carolina and American General Gazette.

The Wells were banished from South
Carolina for their Tory sympathies under
the "Act for Disposing of Certain Estates
and Banishing Certain Persons." Their
house was confiscated by the sheriff and
sold at auction to a local gunsmith by
authority of the 1782 Act of Confiscation.

 
Erected 1999 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
 
Location. 32° 46.481′ N, 79° 55.826′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Tradd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located
58 Tradd Street Cleland - Wells House wiith Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2011
2. 58 Tradd Street Cleland - Wells House wiith Marker
between Meeting and Church Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 58 Tradd Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacob Motte House (a few steps from this marker); Dr. William Cleland's House (a few steps from this marker); William Harvey House (within shouting distance of this marker); The George Ducat House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements (within shouting distance of this marker); Branford-Horry House (within shouting distance of this marker); The William Vanderhorst House (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church of Charleston (within shouting distance of this marker); Timothy Ford's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Robert Pringle House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
58 Tradd Street<br>Cleland-Wells House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2011
3. 58 Tradd Street
Cleland-Wells House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on June 24, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement