Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Unitarian Church in Charleston
has been designated a
This Site Possesses National Significance
in Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 46.713′ N, 79° 56.072′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Archdale Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Archdale Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philip Porcher House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Electrical Engineering Milestone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 400 feet away); Fielding Home for Funerals (about 500 feet away); Quaker Cemetery The Most Reverend Emmet Michael Walsh (about 800 feet away); Riviera Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding The Unitarian Church in Charleston. Begun in 1772, the church was gothicized by Francis D. Lee between 1852 and 1854. The building is a good
statement of the emotional mood of the mid-nineteenth century when the romantic and picturesque were
dominant not only in literature but also in building design. Of Gothic Revival design, the church has a crenellated four-story tower and lancet-arched windows. The main entrance is a Tudor arch, while the eighteen paned lancet arched main tower window has a crocketed hood mould. All windows in the west façade have hood moulds. The building is constructed of stuccoed brick and has false masonry buttresses. Lee designed the church’s interior to simulate that of the chapel of Henry VII at Westminster. The architect’s use of compound piers to “support” the ceiling and to divide the nave and the aisles is quite good and gives the arches an appearance of soaring to heights that they never reach physically. A great deal of Gothic tracery is used in balustrades
Landmark November 7, 1973.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Also see . . . Unitarian Church in Charleston history. ... Construction of the new church was nearly complete when the Revolutionary War broke out in 1776, and American militia, sent to protect the city, used the church for a barracks and destroyed the pews. In 1780, the British occupied Charleston and continued using the church to quarter troops, further damaging the interior. After the war ended and prosperity returned, the Archdale Street church was repaired and was formally dedicated in 1787. (Submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.