Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

The White Chapel District

 
 
The White Chapel District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2011
1. The White Chapel District Marker
Inscription.
The White Chapel District:

In the depression of 1893 there stood on opposite corners of Washington Street and Third Avenue, at the foot of “profanity hill,” what was referred to as the most financially solvent institution in Seattle: The first Catholic Church of Seattle “Our Lady of Good Help,” built in 1869 by Father P.I. Prefontaine, (#1) and Lou Gramham’s Brothel (#2). This area of the tenderloin district extending to Jackson Street, was referred to as the White Chapel District.

Seattle’s first China Town:
Washington Street, between Third Avenue and Second Street, was also the heart of Seattle’s first China Town. Its most prominent building the W. Quong T[?]ck Co.’s Canton Building, built in 1889, still stands at Second and Washington Street. (#3)

The Norton Building:
When on June 6, 1889 Seattle’s fire wiped out much of this district, Charles Hibbard & Homer Norton were here. Hibbard came to Seattle in 1881. In 1887 Hibbard established the first wool pullery and became president of the Hibbard-Stewart Co. which besides dealing in hides and wool, became the largest buyer of walrus ivory in the world. In 1892 Homer Norton joined him to form the Hibbard & Norton Co., which also absorbed Edgewater Tannery, then located at 121 West Main Street.

In
The White Chapel District Marker - Detail image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2011
2. The White Chapel District Marker - Detail
Click on photo to view the numbered suits which coincide with the marker text.
1904 the company built this Norton Building, one of the few remaining heavy [l]umber structures in Seattle. (#4)

In the same year the RR tunnel under Seattle was completed with its south entrance visible on the Fourth Avenue side of this building.
 
Location. 47° 36.043′ N, 122° 19.806′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker is on 3rd Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 3rd Avenue South, Seattle WA 98104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lou Graham’s Sporting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Northern Tunnel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of United Parcel Service (about 500 feet away); UPS - Celebrating 100 years of Service (about 500 feet away); Smith Tower (about 600 feet away); Interurban Building (about 700 feet away); Site of the Smaller Fort (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Interurban Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
 
Also see . . .  Historylink.org - Chinatown, a thumbnail history. (Submitted on October 11, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
The White Chapel District: Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2011
3. The White Chapel District: Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the W. Quong T[?]ck Co.’s Canton Building, located at Second and Washington Street. • Photo of the Norton Building. • Photo of the railroad tunnel. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement