Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wausau in Marathon County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Third Marathon County Courthouse

 
 
Third Marathon County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2011
1. Third Marathon County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. These granite blocks were part of the third Marathon County Courthouse completed in May 1892, it stood on the block bounded by Third, Scott, Fourth and Jefferson Streets. This courthouse was razed in April, 1955.
 
Location. 44° 57.521′ N, 89° 37.538′ W. Marker is in Wausau, Wisconsin, in Marathon County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and North 5th Street, on the left when traveling west on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Marathon County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Forest Street, Wausau WI 54403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of the Bulge Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Guardian Angel Monument (about 500 feet away); Cutler Post Monument (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Rehabilitation Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Federal Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Wausau Water Works (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Workers' Compensation Law (approx. 0.4 miles away); Big Bull Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wausau.
 
More about this marker. The first courthouse was built in 1851 – a tiny building housing
Third Marathon County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, May 16, 2011
2. Third Marathon County Courthouse Marker
the clerk’s office that was built for $98.78. The second courthouse, constructed in Greek Revival style, opened in 1868 at a cost of $7,575. The courthouse built in 1892 cost $74,464.59 and served the county from 1892 to 1954. The current courthouse was built in 1955 for $2 million.
Source: Wisconsin Register of Deeds Association
 
Also see . . .
1. Wausau History. (Submitted on October 11, 2011.)
2. Historic Buildings of Downtown Wausau. Courthouse Square. (Submitted on October 11, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement