Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Gibbes House
This Site Possesses National Significance
in Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 46.245′ N, 79° 56.079′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on South Battery. Touch for map. Located between Legare Street and Lenwood Blvd. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64 South Battery, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harth-Middleton House (a few steps from this marker); The John Blake House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonel James English House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parker Drayton House (about 400 feet away); 8 Legare Street (about 600 feet away); John Fullerton House (about 700 feet away); Toomer- Purse House (about 700 feet away); Simmons-Edwards House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding William Gibbes House.
Gibbes, William, House *** (added 1970 - - #70000575)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1750-1799
The William Gibbes House, built sometime shortly after 1772, and redecorated in 1794, is one of the finest two-story frame residences in America. The grandeur of its classical Georgian elevation is rivaled by the elegance of its very sophisticated Adamesque interiors, featuring richly carved wooden elements, fireplaces and mantles, plaster ceilings, and a dramatic upper floor ballroom, all integrated into the well-known Charleston “double-house” floor plan. The house is built upon a high English basement of carefully distressed stone. The carefully modulated rhythms of the consummately robust Georgian façade are highlighted by triangular forms and by a series of consoles. The elevation is centered on an attic story triangular pediment which itself is centered on the
triangular pediment of the door surround. The latter is part of a perfectly proportioned little aedicule, composed of four wooden pilasters, the triangular pediment, with mutules, and a carefully carved frieze with triglyphs and guttae. The modillions at the cornice level are carried around all sides of the building, and the building is
simply as a double house. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.