Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of First Randolph County Courthouse

 
 
Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
1. Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The area of this square marks the site of the first and second courthouses of Randolph County. The first, a two-story frame building, was erected in 1836. It was replaced in 1842 by a brick structure with entrances facing in four directions. A high fence with four stiles enclosed the area. When the present courthouse, one block north, was completed in 1886, this “Old Courthouse Lot” was conveyed to the City of Cuthbert “for use as a public park forever.”
 
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Randolph County Historical Society.
 
Location. 31° 46.283′ N, 84° 47.367′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street/Blakely Street (Old U.S. 27) and College Street/Broad Street (U.S. 82), in the median on Court Street/Blakely Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in the town square in the center of Cuthbert. (Both Old US 27 and US 82 change street names at this point.). Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew Female College (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Carnegie Library (about 400
Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
2. Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker
feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (about 400 feet away); Randolph County (about 500 feet away); Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. mile away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
 
Categories. Government
 
Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
3. Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker
The marker and the Old Courthouse Lot, now " . . . a public park forever."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement