Bedford in Lawrence County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of the Bedford Branch of the State Bank of Indiana
—1834 —– 1854 —
Created by the Legislature on January 28, 1834, it was one of ten original branch banks. This institution served six counties and contributed greatly to Bedford’s growth.
First President was Col. William McLane, followed by John Vestal.
First cashier was Dan R. Dunihue, followed by Isaac Rector.
This was also the location of the Bedford Branch of the Bank of the State of Indiana, 1855 — 1871.
Erected 1968 by Stone City National Bank, Lawrence County Sesquicentennial Committee.
Location. 38° 51.733′ N, 86° 29.005′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Indiana, in Lawrence County. Marker is on 15th Street (U.S. 50) west of I Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the North side of the Courthouse Square in Bedford, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford IN 47421, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lawrence Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Indiana Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence County Korean Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cornerstone of Freedom Lawrence County World War II Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence County Vietnam Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence County Soldiers Sailors and Pioneers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford Courthouse Square Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.