Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Lake in Lake County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Harriet Lee Hammond Library

 
 
Harriet Lee Hammond Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 15, 2011
1. Harriet Lee Hammond Library Marker
Inscription. This redwood paneled craftsman style building was constructed in 1916. The architect was no less than the nephew of Henry Wordsworth Longfellow. Members of the community donated time and money to build the library. Most notable of the donators was Harriet Lee Hammond, the sister of Teddy Roosevelt's first wife. The library is also home to the Upper Lake Women's Protective Club, a mutual aid organization, started in 1913 with a long and significant history of service to the community. Members still conduct their meetings at the library. Millstones from the pioneer Elliot Grist Mill are near the entrance of the library.
 
Location. 39° 9.957′ N, 122° 54.61′ W. Marker is in Upper Lake, California, in Lake County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Second Street and Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Second Street, Upper Lake CA 95485, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tallman Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ice House (about 400 feet away); The Livery Stable (about 500 feet away); League's Store (about 600 feet away); The IOOF Hall
Harriet Lee Hammond Library Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 15, 2011
2. Harriet Lee Hammond Library Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible mounted on the wall just to the left of the entrance.
(about 600 feet away); Diamond Match Lumber Co. (about 700 feet away); Bloody Island (approx. 1 miles away); Bloody Island (Bo-no-po-ti) (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Lake.
 
Also see . . .  Lake County's website provides additional historical information:. J.N. League donated space in his store building for Upper Lake's first library in 1914. Upper Lake's Harriet Lee Hammond Library opened in 1916. Mrs. Hammond donated the building in memory of her husband, Charles Mifflin Hammond, who died in 1915. Amy Murdock and Lottie Mendenhall donated the land. The Upper Lake Women's Protective Club ran the library on donations and fundraisers until the 1940s, then became a tax-funded operation. When a county library system formed in the 1970s, Upper Lake joined the system in 1975. (Submitted on October 17, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducation
 
Millstone from the Elliot Grist Mill image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 15, 2011
3. Millstone from the Elliot Grist Mill
What isn't visible in the preceding picture are the two millstones from the Elliot Grist Mill, as mentioned on the marker. Yet the millstones are there - one is set flush in the ground immediately adjacent to the right bottom step, and the other is beneath the bush (and nearly completely covered) just to the immediate left of the steps. This photo shows the one just to the right of the steps.
Harriet Lee Hammond Library - view from southwest image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 15, 2011
4. Harriet Lee Hammond Library - view from southwest
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement