East Side of the Public Square
This is the
View east from the capitol cupola
This is one of four panoramic landscapes painted from a perspective atop the Old State Capitol sometime between late 1848 and early 1854, showing buildings along the east side of the public square before the fire of 1858. The columned buildings on the left are the Sangamon County Courthouse and the Springfield Marine & Fire Insurance Company.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Looking for Lincoln marker series.
Location. 39° 48.037′ N, 89° 38.884′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and E. Adams Street on 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield IL 62701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lincoln Boys in 1854 (here, next to this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln's Springfield
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.