Shingletown in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mt. Lassen Historical Society and
E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter #62
Erected 1998 by Mt. Lassen Historical Society and E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter #62.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 40° 29.557′ N, 121° 53.282′ W. Marker is in Shingletown, California, in Shasta County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 44 and Wilson Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on State Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31268 Highway 44, Shingletown CA 96088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nobles Emigrant Trail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Noble’s Bungalow (approx. 1.8 miles away); Charlie’s Place (approx. 3.6 miles away); Nobles Trail – Charley’s Ranch (approx. 3.9 miles away); Manton Store (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hennessy House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Manton Schoolhouse (approx. 4.3 miles away); Nobles Trail – Junction (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shingletown.
Also see . . . Shingletown got its name from shingle-making camps.... Redding.com's article (3/12/2010) on the history of Shingletown. On the Shingletown Store, "....The first Shingletown Store was built by John Freeland in 1854. In 1871, Freeland sold to John McCarley, who made improvements and took in Albert Smith as a partner and established the McCarley and Smith General Merchandise, Trading Post and Hotel. Their business became a very popular place. Its principal product was shakes; other products included dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, clothing, wines, liquors and cigars. A saloon occupied (Submitted on October 21, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on October 21, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.