Near Yuma in Yuma County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Castle Dome Mining District
1864 - 1979
In 1871, the Floral Temple mine within the district had the distinction of being the second patented mine in Arizona. The Castle Dome Mine with 7 shafts was patented in 1876. In 1878, Castle Dome Mine built the world’s largest wagon, with a capacity of 20 tons. The wagon required a team of forty horses or mules to pull.
The mines in the district proved so rich they helped sustain centuries of off-and-on enterprise. The Government’s need for lead brought another boom to Castle Dome during WWI. After falling silent during the Great Depression, the town sprang to life again in the early 1940’s thanks again to the need for lead. During WW2 over 9,000,000 pounds of lead ore was mined out of the area, leading Castle Dome to be considered one of Japan’s top targets, if they had long range bombers.
In 1993 Allen and Stephanie Armstrong bought the property, and salvaged much of the buildings and artifacts located in and around the Museum.
Erected 2009 by E Clampus Vitus Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917+4.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 33° 2.766′ N, 114° 10.668′ W. Marker is near Yuma, Arizona, in Yuma County. Marker can be reached from Castle Dome Mine Road 10 miles east of U.S. 95. Touch for map. The Museum is located 30 Miles North of Yuma and 45 miles South of Quartzsite. Marker is in this post office area: Yuma AZ 85365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Flora Temple Mine (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. Additional driving directions: From Quartzsite head south on US 95. From Yuma head north on US 95. At mile marker 55 turn East on Castle Dome Mine Road. The first 3 miles are paved. The next 7 miles are gravel. At the Y keep to the left. Do not take Big Eye Mine Road
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2011, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 29, 2011, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.