Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gumboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gumboro School

 
 
Gumboro School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
1. Gumboro School Marker
Inscription. In 1919 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation to reform the state’s system of public education. Through the efforts of P.S. DuPont and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, a program to replace many of the state’s overcrowded and outdated schools was begun. On March 10, 1920, the Association purchased four acres of land at this location to construct a school to serve the needs of students residing in the Gumboro area. On July 22, 1927, the State Board of Education approved the consolidation of the Newfoundland, Whitesville, and Good Hope schools with Gumboro District #37. Jones School #36 was later combined as well. Construction of the new building was commenced in December 1927. When completed, the school was attended by grades 1-8. Secondary education was provided at Millsboro High School. In 1966, Gumboro was formally incorporated into the Millsboro school system, which subsequently became part of the Indian River School District in 1969. From 1966 until 1973, the Gumboro School was used by students in first grade. The building was later utilized for special classes, administrative offices and for storage and maintenance purposes until 1997, when it was declared to be surplus property. It was sold the following year and converted for use as the Gumboro Community
Gumboro School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
2. Gumboro School Marker
Center.
 
Erected 2004 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-181.)
 
Location. 38° 28.992′ N, 75° 21.874′ W. Marker is in Gumboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Millsboro Highway (Delaware Route 26) near Daisey Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on the wall at the front door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36849 Millsboro Highway, Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gumboro United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Westwoods Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Jones Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Gumboro Hundred (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bethany United Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Line United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hickory Hill Methodist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gumboro.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Gumboro School seen from Millsboro Highway (DE 26) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
3. Gumboro School seen from Millsboro Highway (DE 26)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement