Georgetown in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wesley United Methodist
On July 9, 1859, the growing congregation purchased a lot of land on North Race Street, south of Cooper Alley, for the site of a new church. The building was completed and dedicated in 1865. By the 1890ís, it was very evident that a larger sanctuary was needed. Under the leadership of the Rev. Charles A. Grise, the lot where the present church stands was purchased in 1896. Construction of the modified-gothic design building was completed the following year. Church treasurer William J. McNatt served as supervising architect,
The adjoining parsonage was built in 1907. The Willie M. Jones Memorial Hall was constructed in 1928, and the Education Building in 1956-57.
Erected 1997 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC -117.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 41.496′ N, 75° 23.136′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on North Race Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Cooper Alley and East Laurel Street. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown DE 19947, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sussex County Korean War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Pettijohnís Old Field” (about 500 feet away); Relocation of the County Seat (about 500 feet away); Sussex County World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Return Day (about 600 feet away); Georgetown Train Station (about 600 feet away); Academy / Masonic Hall (about 600 feet away); Sussex County Courthouse (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.