Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Carnegie Library
The first formal meeting to organize a library association was held at Andrew College in April 1878 with Dr. A. L. Hamilton presiding. The thirteen members of the Cuthbert Library Club offered their book collections, and Judge John T. Clark offered space in his office for the headquarters. The Cuthbert Book Club, operating from 1905-1907, was the next library organization. In 1917, a library board consisting of Mrs. J. B. Bussey, Chair; Mrs. Julian B. Edings, Mrs. John D. Gunn, Mrs. Charlie Harris, Mrs. G. Y. Moore, A. A. Lockett, A. C. Moye, B. B. Teabeaut and E. C. Teel was appointed to work with the Cuthbert Woman’s Club to secure funding from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
To raise the matching funds, the Cuthbert Woman’s Club spearheaded the effort by having oyster suppers, a womanless wedding, turkey dinners, and ice cream festivals. The first brick was laid on October 17, 1917. On September 5, 1918, the debt was cleared, and the library was officially dedicated. Emily Hillyer Owen became the first librarian. The next librarian, Ida Domingos, served for 27 years. The Carnegie Library Building became the Randolph Chamber of Commerce headquarters in 1997 when the new building was built.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 31° 46.325′ N, 84° 47.43′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of North Lumpkin Street and Pearl Street, on the right when traveling north on North Lumpkin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 North Lumpkin Street, Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); The City of Cuthbert and Early Randolph County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Second Creek War in Randolph County (about 400 feet away); Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Randolph County (about 400 feet away); Andrew Female College (about 500 feet away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 2, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.