Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Site of Southwestern University
About the same time, city leaders in Georgetown began plans to establish a college. This site was donated for that purpose by John J. Dimmitt and G. W. Glasscock, Jr., and a community school, instead of a college, opened in 1870.
Georgetown was among the cities competing for the site of the planned Methodist university. In 1873 this property was chosen as the site of the new institution, which was granted a union charter (with the four earlier colleges) in 1875 as Southwestern University. Dr. Mood served as president until his death.
Buildings added to the campus after 1873 included a young ladies school, a chapel, a boys dormitory (Giddings Hall), and a gymnasium. Southwestern University moved to its present site in 1900 but continued to operate a preparatory department here until 1916.
Erected 1989 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9341.)
Location. 30° 37.997′ N, 97° 40.372′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 E University Ave, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Negro Fine Arts School (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown High School Building (within shouting distance of this marker); George Irvine House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); G.W. Riley House (about 500 feet away); Burcham House (about 500 feet away); W.Y. Penn Home (about 500 feet away); J. A. McDougle Home (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 819 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 22, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.