Mentor in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Expanding the House
The first house here, built in 1831-32 by James Dickey, stood only 1 1/2-stories tall. In 1876, Congressman James A. Garfield bought the Dickey farm and, in 1880, had the house extensively remodeled. By raising its roof and expanding its outer walls, Garfield's workers doubled the house's size around the original structure.
After President Garfield was assassinated in 1881, his wife Lucretia received many public donations. In 1885 she used a portion of this money to add a third floor and back wing to the house, including the James A. Garfield Memorial Library - a forerunner of today's presidential libraries.
[Background photo caption reads] In 1880, James A. Garfield posed by the front gate of his newly-remodeled house, which newspaper reporters called "Lawnfield."
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 39.841′ N, 81° 21.024′ W. Marker is in Mentor, Ohio, in Lake County. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of James A. Garfield National Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8095 Mentor Avenue, Mentor OH 44060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Campaign Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill Front Porch Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gasholder Building (about 300 feet away); James A. Garfield's "Lawnfield" (about 500 feet away); Lawnfield (about 500 feet away); James A. Garfield and the Civil War (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mentor.
Also see . . .
1. James A. Garfield National Historic Site. (Submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. James Abram Garfield at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on September 16, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.