Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
J.B. LaBeau, Jeweler
contributes to the Virginia City
Listed in the
By the United States
Department of Interior
In cooperation with
Montana Historical Society
Ford, Robinson and Clark built this narrow building in late 1863 or early 1864. J.B. LaBeau purchased it for $500 in 1865 to house his shop, and pioneer surgeon Dr. I.C. Smith established his office here in 1870. In the 1890s the building was known as the Anaconda Hotel Annex (the Anaconda is now the Fairweather Inn). Interconnecting rooms made a nighttime visit to the two-story privy out back, once accessed by a bridge, hardly private. In 1948 the Boveys recreated a toy store in the building and added a porch to protect its classic Greek Revival facade.
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
Location. 45° 17.601′ N, 111° 56.843′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on Wallace Street. Touch for map. This maker is located on the north side of Wallace Street between Main and Jackson Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Site of First Masonic Meetings (a few steps from this marker); G. Goldberg Store (a few steps from this marker); Kiskadden’s Stone Block (a few steps from this marker); Strasburger’s Colorado Store (a few steps from this marker); Kramer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Anaconda Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buford Block (within shouting distance of this marker); S.L. Simpson Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.