Historical Walking Tour of Whiteﬁsh, Montana
The railroad’s decision to construct a 36-by-150-foot building, to replace a much smaller depot at the north end of Central Avenue, occasioned a banner headline in the Whitefish Pilot in August, 1927. The three-story structure – one story for the depot and two for offices – would cost about $60,000. Butler Construction Co. of Seattle won the contract. In the late 1980’s, Whitefish almost lost its famous depot when the railroad, by then the Burlington Northern, decided to scrap it. But the Stumptown Historical Society, a group formed by local folks to preserve the town’s history, refused to let it go. The Society bought the building for $1 and then raised $800,000 to renovate it, much of the work done by Whitefish volunteers. The Society uses rental fees from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, Amtrak and a few office tenants to maintain the depot. In 2002, the Society had the building repainted in historically correct colors, a project that cost three-fourth as much as the entire 1927 construction
More than 50,000 people pass through the depot each year.
[Photo caption:] Two views, taken in 1927, showing the original depot north of the new building under construction.
Sponsored by the Stumptown Historical Society and the Whitefish Community Foundation.
Erected by Stumptown Historical Society.
Location. 48° 24.818′ N, 114° 20.135′ W. Marker is in Whitefish, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker is at the intersection of Depot Street and Spokane Street on Depot Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 590 Depot Street, Whitefish MT 59937, United States of America.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 438 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.