Ebenezer AME Church
Ebenezer A.M.E. is Baltimore;s oldest standing church built by a black organization. It stands on the site of an earlier church building that was erected in 1848 by the same congregation (first organized in 1836). Several clergymen of national importance have served the church, including Bishop Daniel A. Payne, who founded Wilberforce university, the oldest black university in the country.
The site was purchased in 1839 by four freedmen of the congregation. In 1848, the congregation was incorporated, the building leveled and a new structure erected.
The present building dates from 1865. In 1893, the exterior was radically altered from English Gothic Revival style to vernacular Romanesque Revival. although the architect is unknown, the builder was B.F. Bennett
The church building is an excellent example of ecclesiastical architecture popular in the late 19th century. A meeting hall was located at ground level; on the floor above
1869 view of the church, taken from Sachse's bird's eye view of the city.
Location. 39° 16.796′ N, 76° 36.922′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Montgomery Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Montgomery Street, Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Hill and Otterbein (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leadenhall Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Solo Gibbs Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Struggling For Equality (approx. 0.2 miles away); Generating Electricity from the Sun (approx. ¼ mile away); United States Merchant Seamen Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); A History of Firsts in Baltimore (approx. ¼ mile away); The Olmsted Legacy (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.