Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
From 1880-1950, this area was an industrial hub -- primarily for the cotton industry (e.g., former Gate City Oil Co. ginnery shown here). The Madison Variety Works (once located around the corner on S. Second, now Academy St.) specialized in furniture and architectural details until later replaced by the Mason Gin & Fertilizer Co.
A few warehouses survive: Godfrey's (1878, next to depot); Farmersí Trading Company (c. 1921, faces park); Queen City Gin seed warehouse (c. 1940, rear of this site); and McDowell Grocery (c. 1925, across railroad tracks on W. Jefferson St.).
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.817′ N, 83° 28.2′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town Spring (about 300 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 300 feet away); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 400 feet away); Madison Train Station (about 400 feet away); Madison Station (about 400 feet away); Railroad Street Commerce (about 500 feet away); Madison (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.