Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation
The Deadwood miners were part of the Black Hills gold rush which Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer triggered in 1874. His military expedition on the Sioux reservation had confirmed earlier rumors of gold. Prospectors swarmed to the Black Hills, in spite of government attempts to keep them out of the Indian territory. Early prospectors kept their activities secret, which contributes to the mystery surrounding the Deadwood Gulch discovery. The miner’s presence remained illegal until the Sioux treaty was ratified in February 1877.
[Photo credit:] South Dakota State Historical Society
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 44° 22.496′ N, 103° 43.788′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gold in the Gulch (a few steps from this marker); Civic Stability (within shouting distance of this marker); Riches from Mud (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonanza in the Hills (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherman Street and the East Side (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waite Block Annex (about 500 feet away); Wild Bill (about 500 feet away); Serving the Black Hills (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Also see . . . Black Hills Expedition (1874). (Submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.