Gold in the Gulch
[Illustration captions, left to right:]
Library of Congress
Individual prospectors used a metal pan to separate gold from sand and rocks. The miner swirled the sand and water mixture, allowing the heavy gold to sink to the bottom.
[Photo:] Library of Congress
A Sluice removed the gold from dirt and gravel on a larger scale. The riffles on the bottom of the slanted boxes caught the gold, while water rinsed away the waste.
“This was a Rockey day on us... Ground Sluiced Some but could not make it go commenced Shoveling in when or best Riffel come out. I Swore Some, think we lost lots of money Had two days run in the Sluices... Musketos are geting thick”
June 8, 1876, from the diary of Jerry Bryan
[Photo:] Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. 44° 22.497′ N, 103° 43.798′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Pine Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation (a few steps from this marker); Riches from Mud (within shouting distance of this marker); Civic Stability (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonanza in the Hills (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherman Street and the East Side (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waite Block Annex (about 500 feet away); Serving the Black Hills (about 500 feet away); Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Also see . . .
1. Deadwood, South Dakota - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. Gold Prospecting Tutorials. (Submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.