Pell City in Saint Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pell City, Alabama
Pell City’s second period of great growth began during the 1960s when Alabama Power Company built a dam on the Coosa River and created Lake Logan Martin. The lake created recreational activities in close proximity to Birmingham and the entire area experienced a residential and business building boom. Also during the 1960s, Interstate 20, connecting Birmingham and Atlanta, was built. The lake, I-20 and the existing railroad established Pell City as a premier location for new business and industry
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Pell City. (Marker Number None.)
Location. 33° 35.238′ N, 86° 17.167′ W. Marker is in Pell City, Alabama, in Saint Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Avenue North and 19th Street North, on the right when traveling west on 1st Avenue North. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pell City AL 35125, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Downtown Pell City (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A County Older Than The State (about 500 feet away); Pell City’s Historical Residential District (about 700 feet away); Harkey’s Chapel United Methodist Church Founded Circa 1829-1830 (approx. 5.6 miles away); Camp Winnataska (approx. 9˝ miles away); Lincoln, Alabama (approx. 9.8 miles away); Refuge Cemetery (approx. 10.7 miles away); Town of Margaret (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pell City.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.