Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Sherman Street and the East Side

 
 
Sherman Street and the East Side Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
1. Sherman Street and the East Side Marker
Inscription. Deadwood developed along both sides of Whitewood Creek, forming the two main thoroughfares of Main and Sherman Street. In the 1880s the firms on Sherman tended to be small retail and service businesses. With the arrival of the railroads in the early 1890s, Sherman became the town’s railroad center and wholesale warehouse district.

[Photo captions, clockwise from the top left] Note the differences between these two photographs of eastern Deadwood. You look north from about the same place in both, the picture on the left was taken in the late 1880s and the other in 1909. [Photo credits] Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities, Colorado; Wyoming State Museum.

This depot for the Grand Island and Wyoming branch of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad was on Sherman Street at the intersection with Deadwood Street. The railroad shared the tracks with the Deadwood Central, a steam line which ran to Lead. An electric trolley began running on the tracks in 1902. Construction of the Martin and Mason Block, on the left side of the photograph, began in 1893, making it one of the first large commercial buildings on Sherman. [Photo credit] Wyoming State Museum.

William E. Adams came to Deadwood in 1877 and struck it rich with his grocery and provisions store. In the 1890s he moved his store from Main to 51 Sherman Street, shown

The Classical-Revival Style Deadwood Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
2. The Classical-Revival Style Deadwood Post Office
The Adams Museum in on the right.
here in 1909. He also constructed the four story building to the left, and later added a fourth floor to his original structure. [Photo credit] Wyoming State Museum.
 
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Location. 44° 22.549′ N, 103° 43.754′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Sherman Street and Deadwood Street on Sherman Street. Touch for map. This marker is located at the intersection of Sherman and Deadwood Streets near the Adams Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wild Bill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Flood (within shouting distance of this marker); Civic Stability (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold in the Gulch (about 400 feet away); Waite Block Annex (about 400 feet away); Riches from Mud (about 400 feet away); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
The Wooden Nickel Hotel at Sherman and Lee Streets. image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
3. The Wooden Nickel Hotel at Sherman and Lee Streets.
Monument to 'Wild Bill' Hickok image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
4. Monument to 'Wild Bill' Hickok
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 687 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement