East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ariadne sold the property in 1897 to Frank Bowden Chilton (1845-1926), who had been a captain in Hood's Texas Brigade. In 1900, he gave the property to Mary Louise Chilton (1877-1973), his daughter by his third wife, Ann (Briscoe). The property formally transferred on the date of Mary's marriage to Austin Y. Bryan (1863-1930), grandson of Stephen F. Austin's sister, Emily Austin Bryan Perry. The Bryans sold the house in 1919 to West Columbia hardware and mercantile store owner Sands Smith Weems, Sr. (1873-1961) and his wife, Nan (Pickett) (1880-1964). The Weems family retained ownership of the house until 2000.
The frame house was built in the Greek revival style. Details include square posts with molded caps,
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—2002
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12937.)
Location. 29° 8.358′ N, 95° 37.083′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Jaggard Road (County Road 703) 0.1 miles south of Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aldridge - Smith House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dance Gun Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ammon Underwood House (about 500 feet away); M.L. Weems House (about 700 feet away); Bell's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Carry Nation's Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Columbia.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.