Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town Park
By 2004 the Downtown Development Authority, through perseverance and acquisition donations, acquired four parcels of property -- equivalent to two city blocks. The next year witnessed the demolition of non-historic structures, plan development, and official groundbreaking. Fundraising by the Madison Bicentennial Committee inspired individuals, families, and foundations to give generously, while professionals and businesses provided in-kind support.
An emphasis on heritage design inspired a recast Cooke Fountain and recreated Victorian Gazebo (both from the town square), a Neoclassical Pavilion, and Park Cottage restoration. Town Park is Madison's Bicentennial legacy -– an outdoor venue, civic gathering ground, development catalyst, greenspace, and downtown landmark -- dedicated in 2009.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.833′ N, 83° 28.15′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County Touch for map. The marker stands at the main entrance gates to the Town Park. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Industrial Corridor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Street Commerce (about 300 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 300 feet away); Madison Train Station (about 400 feet away); Madison Station (about 400 feet away); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 500 feet away); The Town Spring (about 600 feet away); Lodging Establishments (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 254 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.