Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Pearl High School
Named for Joshua F. Pearl, the city's first superintendent of schools, Pearl was established in 1883 as a grammar school for Negroes and was located on old South Summer Street. It became a high school in 1897 when grades 9 thru 11 were transferred from Meigs School. In 1917, the 12th grade was added and Pearl moved to 16th Ave. No. and Grant Street. In 1936, the school moved to this location.
In 1966, the first year that the TSSAA was fully desegregated, Pearl's boys' basketball team won the state championship. Considered one of the leading Black academic high schools in America, Pearl was closed in 1983, as a result of court imposed busing. In 1986, this facility became the site of the Martin Luther King Magnet High School for Health Sciences and Engineering.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 147.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 9.683′ N, 86° 48.01′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on 17th Avenue North, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37208, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Watkins Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Weldon Johnson Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ella Sheppard (Moore) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arna Wendell Bontemps (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marathon Motor Car (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel Allen McElwee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fisk University (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,835 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on January 27, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 2. submitted on January 27, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 3, 4. submitted on January 26, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.