Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Golden in Jefferson County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Jolly Rancher 1113 Washington Avenue

City of Golden, Downtown Landmark, Historic Preservation Board

 
 
Jolly Rancher 1113 Washington Avenue Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, July 4, 2011
1. Jolly Rancher 1113 Washington Avenue Marker
Inscription. In May of 1949, Bill and Dorothy Harmsen purchased an ice cream machine and leased a storefront on the east side of Washington Ave. The Harmsens chose the name Jolly Rancher for their store to reflect a spirit of western hospitality. High quality chocolates and soft-serve ice cream were the first products dispensed at The Jolly Rancher. In the early 1950s, Bill invented a soft cinnamon-flavored taffy that he called the Fire Stix. Long ago, the company outgrew the storefront. The original building burned down in 1966.
 
Location. 39° 45.348′ N, 105° 13.295′ W. Marker is in Golden, Colorado, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1113 Washington Avenue, Golden CO 80401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1115 Washington Avenue (here, next to this marker); Territorial Capital of Colorado (within shouting distance of this marker); 1211 Washington Avenue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clear Creek (about 400 feet away); 922 Washington Avenue (about 400 feet away); Ferrell/Berthoud Home (Miners Hotel) (about 400 feet away); Winter Wind on the Mesa (about 400 feet away); Bridge Load Ordinance Background (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Golden.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 36 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on November 27, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement