Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Magnolia in Pike County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Pike County Courthouse

 
 
Pike County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 18, 2011
1. Pike County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Pike County, named for Zebulon Pike, was organized in 1815. In 1875, the county seat was moved from Holmesville to Magnolia, and a courthouse was built the next year. All records were lost when the wood-frame building burned in 1881. Rebuilt in 1882, the courthouse was remodeled in 1918 to its present appearance.
 
Erected 2005 by Mississippi Department of Archive and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 31° 8.628′ N, 90° 27.589′ W. Marker is in Magnolia, Mississippi, in Pike County. Marker is on East Bay Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Magnolia MS 39652, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865 (approx. half a mile away); Harper Baptist Seminary (approx. 1.3 miles away); Summit Street (approx. 7.7 miles away); T. Tommy Cutrer (approx. 9.3 miles away); War of 1812, Pike County (approx. 9.8 miles away); Creation of Pike County
Pike County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 19, 2011
2. Pike County Courthouse
(approx. 9.9 miles away); Thirty-First Parallel (approx. 11.4 miles away in Louisiana); Jerry Clower (approx. 12.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Magnolia.
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement