Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Public Building

1877

 
 
First Public Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. First Public Building Marker
Inscription. When Hettie Austin came to this community from Indiana in 1876, she immediately began roaming about in her "sad little mule-drawn cart" soliciting contributions for a Methodist Church. Henry DeLand convinced her that the greater need was for a school, to which he would donate the land and much of the building cost if it could be used by all denominations for worship on Sundays. Thus, on this corner was built the first public building which served as both school and church. Much later, in 1908, Victor Fountain paid J.T. Cairns $10,000 to erect this brick building which was home to Fountain's Men's Store for many decades.
 
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 29° 1.744′ N, 81° 18.198′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of East Indiana Avenue and North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17 / 92) on East Indiana Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the side of the building, immediately adjacent to the storefront windows. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 North Woodland Boulevard, Deland FL 32724, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
First Public Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. First Public Building Marker
The marker is seen to the right, mounted on the building.
markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Movie House (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haven Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Landis-Fish Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Commercial Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Grocery Stores (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilcox Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller-Fish Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeLand.
 
Regarding First Public Building. At the time of this marker's entry into the database, the 1908 building which once housed Fountain's Men's Store was home to Stetson Flower & Wedding Boutique, Inc.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationIndustry & Commerce
 
Site of DeLand's First Public Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, November 26, 2011
3. Site of DeLand's First Public Building
Built on the site of the first public building around 1908 was this structure, which currently houses a florist and full-service wedding boutique.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement